Wednesday 27 July 2016

Foundation Application Hacks


As nice as it can be to not have to wear foundation, sometimes your skin just isn't co-operating and you need that bit of coverage but you want it to look flawless, right? There are a few simple and quick hacks to get that perfect base you want, so keep on reading!
 Foundation-Appliction-Hacks

Prep
Always make sure you prep your skin before applying any sort of makeup by using a moutoriser and letting it sink in naturally. The best way is to apply just before you go in the shower as the steam will open your pores and get the best out of the product.

Primer
Hands up, who skips the primer? I know I do but it's such a helpful product! Not only does it give your foundation something to stick to, it also smooth out your skin and makes pores vanish - if pores are visa le the foundation sinks into them making it appear uneven.

Brush? Fingers? Sponge?
What you use to apply the foundation is completely a personal choice and each have their own pros and cons. I always find that a brush is better if you want a lighter base and a sponger for heavier as you end up using more product. Which ever method you use, after you have applied he foundation, pat it into your skin with either a slinger or your fingers to really make sure it is fully blended.

Centre Out
Apply your foundation from the centre of your face outwards. This stops it looking like a mask as you have to blend it outwards towards your jaw line and also stops attention being drawn to the baby hairs around your face.

Setting
The best way to make your foundation last all day while still looking natural and cake-free is to use a setting spray. There are a number of different ones avalible depending on both your skin type and also the 'look' and finish you're after.

Light
Always, always apply your foundation while sitting in natural light. Not only will you be able to see exactly where you are applying it to, it was save any orange embarrassment!

Foundation Type
With there being so many different types of foundation it can be hard to know which one to choose, but the first step is knowing your skin type. For dry and normal skin, a liquid foundation would probably work best to give a more natural finish while a powder or cream to powder formula may suit oily skin better to help keep the oil at bay. However, it is a case of trial and error to find out what you like using and what looks most natural on your skin.

Powder?
This can be one of the main reasons foundation goes caky. Only apply it where your skin creates the most oil - usually just the T-zone - and only use a small amount and lightly brush it onto the area. If you feel your foundation slip or just feel oily in areas throughout the day, blot and apply a little more of the powder.

Clean
Not only does it stop bacteria forming and germs being spread, keeping you brush and/or sponge clean will help make you base look so much more flawless. It means you will only be spreading the 'new' foundation across your face and not what has dried to the brush/sponge and means you wont get any of those little balls of dried foundation either!


It does take a little practice to get a perfectly flawless base, so I hope these quick and easy foundation hacks help you and let me know if they do or anything else you swear by!
Love Laura x




18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips! I can barely ever find foundations in my shade, so don't get too much practice at applying it. I'm sure these will come in handy when I find the one :)

    Cathy | overnightbelle.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling, foundation can be a tricky one to find 'the one'!

      Delete
  2. Love the tips. Sometimes I don't feel like have a heavy foundation on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! Sometimes a BB cream or even just a bit of concealer is enough

      Delete
  3. These are very useful tips that I'll need to add to my routine. I never knew that applying your foundation from the centre outwards actually helped. I definitely need to pay attention to this next time!

    Ellen,
    http://fishnetsxd.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found them helpful! It really does help as it makes it more even and impossible to miss anywhere!

      Delete
  4. Primer is so important, I skipped that stage for years, but it really does help to create the perfect base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit, I still skip it sometimes even though I know it really does help!

      Delete
  5. Great tips! I am a brush user personally. I love a good primer too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some brilliant tips here, definitely agree with put on your makeup in natural light :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips! I'm definitely guilty of skipping the primer most days, need to get back into the swing of things! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always skip primer and have never owned one i really need to get one but don't know which!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know next to nothing about foundation so this was really helpful. The next time I attend a wedding, I probably won't be as blotchy as I used to be! Fingers crossed!
    x
    Aria | All Souled Out

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have saved this post! I keep buying make up, but it isn't going to apply itself! I am really rubbish at applying makeup! I'm sure your blog will help! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. with you on that - I'm always buying foundation but don't wear it that often! Glad you found it helpful

      Delete
  11. Thanks for great tips, primer is so important!
    http://danielleartstylefashion.blogspot.com/2017/02/ipsy-bh-cosmetics-beauty-haul.html

    ReplyDelete