Who doesn't love a good, gooey chocolate cake?! I know I certainly can't resist the yumminess and even better when your using a Mary Berry recipe, you know it's going to be good! Would you belie that this is the first time I've ever made an actual cake as opposed to cupcakes? That must show you how easy this recipe is - you can thank me later!
You will need:
110g plain flour
125g butter (at room temperature)
125 g caster sugar
200g plain dark chocolate
2 tbsp. water
20cm cake tin
30g cocoa powder
250g icing sugar
For the cake:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C and grease and line a baking tin with baking paper
- In a heatproof bowl, place the chocolate and butter and place over a pan of hot water. Allow to melt, stirring gently. Take off the heat and allow to cool
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs and sugar until fluffy and light in colour. Stir in the chocolate mixture and then gently fold in the flour. Don't over-mix as you want the mixture to be light and full of air
- Pour the mixture into the baking tin and make sure it is level. Bake for 50mins or until well risen and firm to the touch
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then remove from the tin onto a cooling rack and peel off the baking paper. Leave to completely cool
For the fudge icing:
- In a medium pan, melt the butter and then add the cocoa powder. Cook for 1min, stirring continuously
- Remove from the heat and add the milk and icing sugar. Beat well until smooth. You may need to add a little more milk if the mixture looks too thick
- Allow to cool until thickened then cover the top and sides of your cake with a thick layer of the fudge icing. Decorate as desired then dig in!
Honestly, I have never had so many complements of my baking as I have for this cake! Everyone keeps asking when I'm going to make another, so it must be good and while it does requie a little effort, especially the fudge icing but it is so worth it and it's another one that wont last long in your house!
Let me know if you make it!
Love Laura x